Vertical pedalboard performance setups.

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Vertical pedalboard performance setups.

Post by luciferjonez »

I have been watching several noise performances online these past weeks and I've noticed that so many performers have this hunched over posture to the point where some of the older ones look like they've developed a hunchback. Messing around at home I find it to be taxing on my back and started looking into a vertical pedalboard on Etsy that would keep the neck and back pain to a minimum. Have any of you tried a vertical setup?
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Re: Vertical pedalboard performance setups.

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Vertical, as in tiered? I've had things set up similarly at home. But live I've aslo used pedalboards and othe tabletop stuff on a two-tier keyboard stand. The second tier is sloped down and most stands can be quickly and easily adjusted for height within a certain limit.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Oh. No experience with anything like that, though I feel it'd be awkward for me personally. I guess it depends on how high it's set and how well stabilized.

I know the circuit bending artist Khate used a folding, multi-tiered stand of some sort that was a bit like something between a traditional kb stand and what you posted. It looked very spacious and fairly ergonomic if you stand up to play.
mouthofinfinity
Contact Mic

Post by mouthofinfinity »

I have a tiered standing desk that I use at home (same as this, except mine is black) https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/i ... 17463.html

It’s easy enough to breakdown if I ever decided to play out. Noise needs more ergonomics.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

You know, I just remembered seeing some studio tour on yt once where the guy was using a bunch of pedals as outboard fx and just had them mounted on 19" rack plates at a 90 degree angle. Maybe that could work. Definitely stable, and a lot cheaper too.
+hp+
Hard Panning

Post by +hp+ »

dang this is such an awesome idea
ASN
Contact Mic

Post by ASN »

I wish they made noise tables to be higher. Would like to end my performance art piece - Tall Man at Small Table - sometime this lifetime.
Residual / RT
Thrashmaster

Post by Residual / RT »

I have one of these at home: https://www.thomann.de/gb/gravity_ksx_2_rd.htm

Packs up pretty nicely so you can take it out if you want to.
RESIDUAL / VU / MONGREL TACTICS / THROAT
leuksi
Hard Panning

Post by leuksi »

ASN wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:10 pm I wish they made noise tables to be higher. Would like to end my performance art piece - Tall Man at Small Table - sometime this lifetime.
Amen. My two-meters-tall shit posture ass would really like this.
Namahs
Maniacs Only

Post by Namahs »

leuksi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:30 pm
ASN wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:10 pm I wish they made noise tables to be higher. Would like to end my performance art piece - Tall Man at Small Table - sometime this lifetime.
I give my vote for higher tables.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Bring a suitcase full of bricks to your gig. Put these under the table legs before setup. Problem solved.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

leuksi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:30 pm
Exactly. Watching people bent over a desk is both boring and painful to watch. My back is shot.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

You just have to learn to squat.

I tell you, before work conditioning at my current job, I had no idea what was the proper posture to assume in order to squat as a morbidly obese American. It's really liberating to know that I can safely poop outdoors without falling back into it now.

I know some people mock it, but sitting on the floor is also underrated. I know that can also be hell on your lower back if your gear is also on the floor, but a floor table is an option. My family used to eat a lot of our dinners at the coffee table when I was younger, with us kids sitting at the table on the floor. I think my dad was a little bit of a closet weeb or something but it's quite cozy.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I have to ask: what is a closet weeb? Morbidly obese and squatting? So you’re offsetting the back pain to your knees which are already under strain from supporting your weight? The older get the more I can empathize with joint pain.

I still find the performance aspect to be a bit of a drag. Akin to harsh shoegaze.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

luciferjonez wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 am I have to ask: what is a closet weeb? Morbidly obese and squatting? So you’re offsetting the back pain to your knees which are already under strain from supporting your weight? The older get the more I can empathize with joint pain.

I still find the performance aspect to be a bit of a drag. Akin to harsh shoegaze.
Dad was possibly a little bit of an insecure control freak type. Went into the air force "back in the day". Stationed in Guam for a large part of it, I think. Probably became infatuated with the "exotic" aspects of SE Asia because he came from bumfuck SE United States and never experienced much else prior. Quietly dysfunctional upbringing. Sullen alcoholic. Really liked young, very young, women who were submissive... So, I think he romanticized stereotypical Asian culture, and he sometimes treated our coffee table as a chabudai. He also allegedly molested my sister and possibly several of her friends. He's dead now, so whatcha gonna do? He was also a great cook (used to talk of eating "bat chiles" [cocks] during his time in Guam) a skilled carpenter and adequate craftsman (designed the blueprints for and built the first house I lived in) and gardener.

Anyway, growing up with him was a culinary adventure and a good lesson in learning how to be quiet so as to avoid the angry-dad-belt-snap. He let us rent Faces of Death from the video store because HE wanted to watch it. I wouldn't be who I am without that quiet, disturbed mess of a man. I was essentially his third daughter. I have often speculated that the prospect of having a laddish son who might grow up to be stronger than him filled him with fear!

Frankly, a lot of this is speculation because my dad was something of an enigma. A very hot-and-cold personality. Often not even remotely emotionally available beyond angry outbursts from what I can remember. But he still seemed to enjoy things like teaching gardening and doing food and drink prep for his puppy dog-children's tea parties...
---
Also, the morbidly obese aspect of squatting isn't that important, it only subtly complicated the act of squatting in making it that much clumsier before I knew how to do it... Mostly, I was just trying to be funny. ._.

Now, about those vertical 19" rack plates...
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Thank you for sharing. That does not sound like an easy upbringing.

So what is a closet weeb?
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

luciferjonez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:05 am So what is a closet weeb?
You know, the more I consider the question, I think that I might be one... And partly as a consequence of my upbringing. I mean someone who is at least partially aware of/self-conscious about their superficial Sino/Japanophilia... or Guamophilia, as the case may be, and understands their romantic, stereotyped ideals about how great a homogenous society where everyone shuts the fuck up on the train comes at its own price.

I think my dad would have been better described as a slighty un-self-aware boomer Asiaphile, but please to ask me to try to define that.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:18 am
luciferjonez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:05 am So what is a closet weeb?
You know, the more I consider the question, I think that I might be one... And partly as a consequence of my upbringing. I mean someone who is at least partially aware of/self-conscious about their superficial Sino/Japanophilia... or Guamophilia, as the case may be, and understands their romantic, stereotyped ideals about how great a homogenous society where everyone shuts the fuck up on the train comes at its own price.

I think my dad would have been better described as a slighty un-self-aware boomer Asiaphile, but please to ask me to try to define that.
srtill trying to figure out the closet weeb. I am totally missing that reference :DImage
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Nevermind! Weeb - A person who is obsessed with anime, figures, and manga
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Oh, my apologies. I take it as a given that everyone already knows about that term and its current context because I spent my entire adolescence online.