Dream gear and future innovations

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
DIODE SNORTER
C20

Dream gear and future innovations

Post by DIODE SNORTER »

What's one piece of gear or utility you really wish you had, even if it doesn't exist? It could be as simple as a dedicated killswitch or some intricately-crafted, groundbreaking synth effect.
More broadly, what technological innovation(s) would you like to see develop that could help with creating your work?

I'm not sure myself, but just to give an example, a piece of gear might be a self-oscillating fuzz based on power rails rather than transistors, while a new innovation could be AI-assisted editing.
Noise Fanatic

Re: Dream gear and future innovations

Post by 33033 »

Had a friend who worked at a disposal company come to me with a really dated hearing test machine that produced some wild tones, which sounded a bit broken due to the age and such. Loved it. Used it for one show, and he took it back. Offered him $$$ but he declined. Wish I had convinced him otherwise...
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I would like more space to hook up all of my gear and not to have to break it down every night.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

luciferjonez wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:47 pm I would like more space to hook up all of my gear and not to have to break it down every night.
Yeah. Long-term headache for me too. I hope I can get around to overhauling my home studio nook during summer shutdown at work...

Also, I wish I could play the piano. :(
DIODE SNORTER
C20

Post by DIODE SNORTER »

33033 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:27 pm Had a friend who worked at a disposal company come to me with a really dated hearing test machine that produced some wild tones, which sounded a bit broken due to the age and such. Loved it. Used it for one show, and he took it back. Offered him $$$ but he declined. Wish I had convinced him otherwise...
Did you record anything with it? Do you remember a brand name or model number?
Molena
C20

Post by Molena »

once saw a pedal/noise maker called the torture wheel. think it was masf pedals but never seen it again anywhere. it looked and sounded amazing.
dust
Contact Mic

Post by dust »

despite most of my interest being the actual creation of the stuff someday I want to be able to think the sounds right into a playback medium
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I want some huge pieces of scrap metal. Maybe a big sledgehammer too.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

right now I'd love a reasonably-priced midi controller with 64 or more knobs. being able to build virtual mixers with a ton of aux sends & busses is great, but being able to map them to physical knobs would make them so much easier to play in real time.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

DIODE SNORTER wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:32 pm
33033 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:27 pm Had a friend who worked at a disposal company come to me with a really dated hearing test machine that produced some wild tones, which sounded a bit broken due to the age and such. Loved it. Used it for one show, and he took it back. Offered him $$$ but he declined. Wish I had convinced him otherwise...
Did you record anything with it? Do you remember a brand name or model number?
Didn't record anything with it, sadly. Just used it for a couple jams and then a live set. From googling I know it's a Belltone audiometer. But I can't find the exact model. It definitely had quite distinctively large dials that were heavy to click around. I think it was one of the ones with the separate dials that went between right/middle/left sides but those ones still don't look right.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I'm looking forward to, and trying to create the next innovation in noise boxes. the spring/contact mic is as interesting as a tween show about vampires.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

SS1535 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:20 pm I want some huge pieces of scrap metal. Maybe a big sledgehammer too.
They would never think of letting me take scrapped car parts home from work, though I would like to. Even considered shelling out to buy my own aftermarket parts. Fenders are the best in terms of sonic potential and portability, and one of the cheaper parts on a body you can buy at that. But they're still expensive for something you're just going to bash around.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:23 pm
SS1535 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:20 pm I want some huge pieces of scrap metal. Maybe a big sledgehammer too.
They would never think of letting me take scrapped car parts home from work, though I would like to. Even considered shelling out to buy my own aftermarket parts. Fenders are the best in terms of sonic potential and portability, and one of the cheaper parts on a body you can buy at that. But they're still expensive for something you're just going to bash around.
You should tell your boss that he is limiting your creative potential.

I have been wanting to try the dump for this stuff. I have found some interesting metal bits (thus far unused, unfortunately) just from randomly finding them amongst trash.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

SS1535 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:04 pm
They'd never understand... My life is just one long Smiths song... T~T
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Bubble-Congeries wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:56 pm
SS1535 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:04 pm

They'd never understand... My life is just one long Smiths song... T~T
hahaha

I guess the second best option is taking your recorder to work?
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I've definitely done that before! It's so noisy there, though, it's hard to get good recordings. I spent at least a couple of hours just trying to clean this up in iZotope RX and it's a fairly simple, uniform sound to work with:
https://audiojungle.net/item/industrial ... r/34426371

Nothing wrong with some noise and reverberation in recordings, but when it's so excessive that it just washes out all the nuance of a choice piece of junk, it becomes very disheartening to try to document anything much outside of noisy field recordings.
Tarkamt
Contact Mic

Post by Tarkamt »

No more cables. Wireless power. Widespread use/integration of parametric (ultrasonic) speakers.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

SS1535 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:20 pm Maybe a big sledgehammer too.
I've found Estwing deliver the most bang for your buck and are quite affordable! I typically use mine for hammering in garden stakes but I reckon the quality will hold for noise or gardening....

https://www.estwing.com/product/blacksm ... iberglass/
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

holy ghost wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:04 pm
SS1535 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:20 pm Maybe a big sledgehammer too.
I've found Estwing deliver the most bang for your buck and are quite affordable! I typically use mine for hammering in garden stakes but I reckon the quality will hold for noise or gardening....

https://www.estwing.com/product/blacksm ... iberglass/
That looks very workable/reasonable for noise purposes (maybe the color combination doesn't fit with my general aesthetic interests...). haha I guess that's the nice thing about doing noise by hand---so much of your "gear" can be justified as a needed household expense!
ASN
Contact Mic

Post by ASN »

Molena wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:43 pm once saw a pedal/noise maker called the torture wheel. think it was masf pedals but never seen it again anywhere. it looked and sounded amazing.
Traumatone made them (Ryan Bloomer/ Flatline Construct/ Delta Kane/ Stegm/ Zenta Sustained/ Intensive Care etc etc)

I tested a few prototypes on tour in 2008 before the final version was settled on.

Industrial Hazard made a sanctioned tribute to it, but it’s not the same, the wheel is very different and doesn’t function in the same way.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

ASN wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:57 pm
Molena wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:43 pm once saw a pedal/noise maker called the torture wheel. think it was masf pedals but never seen it again anywhere. it looked and sounded amazing.
Traumatone made them (Ryan Bloomer/ Flatline Construct/ Delta Kane/ Stegm/ Zenta Sustained/ Intensive Care etc etc)

I tested a few prototypes on tour in 2008 before the final version was settled on.

Industrial Hazard made a sanctioned tribute to it, but it’s not the same, the wheel is very different and doesn’t function in the same way.
Do you have pictures of this thing?
ASN
Contact Mic

Post by ASN »

Unfortunately I don’t and Max from Death Kneel has mine now.

The thing that looks like a hot plate next to the red cup on the right of photo is the prototype.

Lousy pic but same tour, right hand on the Torture Wheel prototype.

The prototype did not survive the tour so the final version was in a metal enclosure and smaller, wheel was matt black.

I put nails in mine so it was also a shaker. You basically pushed the wheel down and turned it and it made an unholy screeching sound.
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

Lightweight but durable case for noise_gear. Something that doesn't weight as much as I do, and something I can attach my gear to, already connectd to each other. Guitar/keyboard cases all have downsides that I can't get past.
FrenziedDestruction
Contact Mic

Post by FrenziedDestruction »

Atrophist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:10 pm Lightweight but durable case for noise_gear. Something that doesn't weight as much as I do, and something I can attach my gear to, already connectd to each other. Guitar/keyboard cases all have downsides that I can't get past.
yeah this would be great. someone could probably make them and sell them for a good bit on etsy or whatever.

i used a pair of plastic storage boxes to transport my setup all hooked up previously, it worked ok but i think having my hands deep in a plastic bin while performing probably looked odd.

custom noise tables which are of a higher height so you dont have to bend over would be nice as well
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Atrophist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:10 pm Lightweight but durable case for noise_gear. Something that doesn't weight as much as I do, and something I can attach my gear to, already connectd to each other. Guitar/keyboard cases all have downsides that I can't get past.
Perhaps this won't be useful to you, but I found a Hitachi power tool case on a curb that has worked really well for me... It's basically the perfect size for standard pedals. I cut out the inner plastic molding with a razor and it's a little wobbly and the lid sits slightly askew as a result, but the latches on top keep it secure. It's very lightweight and does a good job of keeping everything protected and in its place, even without actually having any velcro on the bottom of my pedals anymore.

I put an output jack directly on the case. If I ever get it back from my nephew, I might like to add an input jack as well, and some other holes for cable management. My nephew also has an old Califone headphone case into which I put a bunch of pedals for him to borrow. Also fairly rugged and lightweight, and an easier "off-the-shelf" option that could also be modified similarly. Only issue is that it's a bit deep compared to the Hitachi case.