The Haters as home listening experience.

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

The Haters as home listening experience.

Post by puritanwaste »

OK, so this post is mostly for my own selfish purposes, but I was hoping some folks could list their three favorite Haters releases WITH little descriptions of what they love about them. I only have a few things myself—Mind The Gap, Merzbow & The Haters, and In The Shade Of Fire (which I listened to recently and really enjoyed). I feel like I mostly think about The Haters as an almighty entity/concept/performance-driven project and haven't spent nearly enough time with the recorded output. There are a few things that have come in and out of my possession over the years that didn't quite do it for me, so they went to new homes. However, after this recent listen to 'In The Shade...," I'm ready to dive back in, and would love to hear your thoughts/recommendations on what material you love most as a listening experience.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Re: The Haters as home listening experience.

Post by adult human »

Mostly here to listen because I have similar questions about the Haters BUT one of my big discoveries has been the RRRecycled cassette. Now this is from the era of Ron doing fuckeries to an artist's record and dubbing it a RRRecycled tape but there is something about this notion that totally works within the Haters framework. The already very unmusical, destroyed sounds of Haters being further destroyed an unmusicalised. Honestly feels to me like what I always want haters to sound like.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Five favorites off the top of my head (but there's so much more, of course)

De Haters C60 (Bloedvlag Produkt, 1986)
- All the usual early ingredients (glass breaking, explosions etc), but mixed exceptionally well. Full use of stereo, high impact bombardment.

Tractor LP (Big Body Parts, 1988)
-Being a live LP, with three live performances, this stands out in their early discography sonically. More of a free flowing raw racket instead of the usual box of sounds. Also conceptually interesting, with plenty of text and imagery to dive into. I'm not at home though so I can't remind myself what it's all about.

The Totimorphous CD (V2 Archief, 1992)
- The album part of the huge... thing that is the Totimorphous (GX have made paintings and written essays as well). An amazing noise album in its own right though. Yet another superbly mixed bombardment of sounds - both the 80's palette and newer sounds - making this album a transitional thing, pointing both backwards and to where Haters were headed later in the 90s. Killer.

Urban Sensitivity CD (Commercial Failure, 1994)
- The loop album! Stands out for being a particularly soothing and unannoying Haters album. Hypnotizing loops and rhythms made from objects, site recordings and even sone instruments. Add to that some tape fuckery. An overlooked top gem. Do do do check this one out.

Death-Defying SicknessCD (Noisopoly, 2002)
- Massive long form harsh droning that just swells over its course. Guitar feedback, textures, explosions. Similar to Speculum Fight's White Elephant album, but so much louder. Oh, and there's a fun little short story about some doctor in the booklet, if memory serves.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Which is the one that's built on a foundation of car crash samples? That one's incredible. So is the one where GX cracks a bunch of vinyl records in half for the entire duration of it. They're surprisingly enjoyable for being something that is typically painful to hear...
DOG
Blank Tape

Post by DOG »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:44 pm Which is the one that's built on a foundation of car crash samples? That one's incredible.
That's "Big Time Crash Bang 2008".
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

IMG_4779.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Thanks!

And to that photo: SICK!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

DOG wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:38 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:44 pm Which is the one that's built on a foundation of car crash samples? That one's incredible.

Found this digitally on GX's site for only $1 !!!

https://gxjl.bandcamp.com/album/big-tim ... -bang-2008
Tribe Tapes
Thrashmaster

Post by Tribe Tapes »

Capers wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:50 am De Haters C60 (Bloedvlag Produkt, 1986)
- All the usual early ingredients (glass breaking, explosions etc), but mixed exceptionally well. Full use of stereo, high impact bombardment.
This is the quintessential option for exploring Haters tapes. Fuck, it can almost be considered an early "greatest hits" compilation for the act, using bite-sized versions of samples that would also appear on releases like Future Cheers and Nirgends. Interestingly, a prenatal 10-minute excerpt of The Whipping is present here, a full year before it was released as a C60 by We Never Sleep.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

Bump! How can this be all you have to say about The Haters releases? Come ON!

Also...
Tribe Tapes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:29 pm a C60 by We Never Sleep
4980065379_21de44fced.jpg
4980065379_21de44fced.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
fenian
C20

Post by fenian »

Personal favorite has to be Future Cheers, it’s been reissued twice that I’m aware of and I think I like the sonic quality of the Troniks/Helicopter CD the best of all.

I’d definitely seek out These Things Happen Volumes 1&2 CDs everything about this collection is superb, if someone needed a jumping off point for the recorded The Haters experience these two volumes would be great place to start.

The first The Haters release I can recall owning was a knackered copy of In The Shade of Fire, but the Hanson reissue is fairly pristinely remastered imo.
puritanwaste
Hard Panning

Post by puritanwaste »

fenian wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 pm Personal favorite has to be Future Cheers, it’s been reissued twice that I’m aware of and I think I like the sonic quality of the Troniks/Helicopter CD the best of all.

I’d definitely seek out These Things Happen Volumes 1&2 CDs everything about this collection is superb, if someone needed a jumping off point for the recorded The Haters experience these two volumes would be great place to start.

The first The Haters release I can recall owning was a knackered copy of In The Shade of Fire, but the Hanson reissue is fairly pristinely remastered imo.
Thanks Matt—these are 3 that I've definitely been wanting to snag, but I've got a tour coming up in a week and I'm on an online noise shopping freeze until I get home and stabilize. However, I'll probably still pop into a few record stores while I'm out and about, so who knows what could happen? :)

Since creating this thread, I've jammed the Predetermined By Accident boxset, which is amazing overall when accounting for the presentation and ideas behind it, but obviously as a listening experience, there are entire sides of some of the tapes that are purely conceptual and not really an engaging listen. 30 minutes of dull humming feedback from a microphone is revolutionary and all within the historical context, but not something I need to jam more than once.

With that said, I also blasted Urban Sensitivity and the Merzbow split/collab and both of them deliver the fucking goods in totally different ways.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:44 pm
DOG wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:38 am

Found this digitally on GX's site for only $1 !!!

https://gxjl.bandcamp.com/album/big-tim ... -bang-2008

Bought this on wax for $5+s&h on discogs. It's even more hilarious on my record player.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

fenian wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:40 pm I’d definitely seek out These Things Happen Volumes 1 & 2 CDs everything about this collection is superb, if someone needed a jumping off point for the recorded The Haters experience these two volumes would be great place to start.
I've had similar experiences as everyone else where the recorded material can be a little hit or miss. These Things Happen Volumes 1 & 2 are both home runs however and an excellent array of high-quality material.

I'm listening to the new Tractor 2023 CD on Helicopter/Troniks and this might be another good place for people looking to discover The Haters. There is a variety of material across 3 live actions that occurred in 1987 and 1988. 8/15/87 San Francisco (tearing large sheets of paper & fire sounds), 10/11/87 Colorado Springs (sledgehammers smashing holes through the brick walls of an abandoned metal refinery), 12/16/88 Salt Lake City (destroyed junk on an overflowing club stage).

I know Richard Ramirez has cited the original Tractor LP as a personal favorite, he even released his own version of Tractor as an homage to the LP.

I'm not familiar with the original Tractor LP, but this new CD version appears to be remixed, remastered, and even reworked a bit according to the label description. There also seems to be a new track that wasn't on the original release clocking in at a whopping 29 minutes. It's a very hypnotic and shape-changing beast of entropy! This CD is quite good.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Whoa, that Tractor rerelease sounds sick...
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:43 am I'm listening to the new Tractor 2023 CD on Helicopter/Troniks and this might be another good place for people looking to discover The Haters. There is a variety of material across 3 live actions that occurred in 1987 and 1988. 8/15/87 San Francisco (tearing large sheets of paper & fire sounds), 10/11/87 Colorado Springs (sledgehammers smashing holes through the brick walls of an abandoned metal refinery), 12/16/88 Salt Lake City (destroyed junk on an overflowing club stage).

I know Richard Ramirez has cited the original Tractor LP as a personal favorite, he even released his own version of Tractor as an homage to the LP.

I'm not familiar with the original Tractor LP, but this new CD version appears to be remixed, remastered, and even reworked a bit according to the label description. There also seems to be a new track that wasn't on the original release clocking in at a whopping 29 minutes. It's a very hypnotic and shape-changing beast of entropy! This CD is quite good.

Just bought this, as well. And the Haters' digital version of the original, which is on GX's bandcamp for $3 or $4 or something.
Lactating Tardigrade
Hard Panning

Post by Lactating Tardigrade »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:51 pm Just bought this, as well. And the Haters' digital version of the original, which is on GX's bandcamp for $3 or $4 or something.
If you get a chance and do a comparison between the two versions, let me know what you think and if you notice a big change from the original to the reissue. On the 2023 version, I think my favorite track is actually the shortest. Track 2, 10/11/87 Colorado Springs (sledgehammers smashing holes through the brick walls of an abandoned metal refinery) is amazing and I wish this one was longer. Maybe one of my favorite Haters tracks. There is something oddly pretty about it. As pretty as smashing sledgehammers can be. You'll see when you get the CD.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Lactating Tardigrade wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:53 am
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:51 pm Just bought this, as well. And the Haters' digital version of the original, which is on GX's bandcamp for $3 or $4 or something.
If you get a chance and do a comparison between the two versions, let me know what you think and if you notice a big change from the original to the reissue. On the 2023 version, I think my favorite track is actually the shortest. Track 2, 10/11/87 Colorado Springs (sledgehammers smashing holes through the brick walls of an abandoned metal refinery) is amazing and I wish this one was longer. Maybe one of my favorite Haters tracks. There is something oddly pretty about it. As pretty as smashing sledgehammers can be. You'll see when you get the CD.
Sorry for the delay on this.

There's distortion added to the first two tracks (haven't made it to the third yet) on the reissue. The Colorado Springs track sounded almost relaxing on the original release, but it's not on the new one. I'm not sure how best to describe them, but because of it, the track is not relaxing, lol

I think you asked about two other albums, so here you go:

The Merzbow collab with SxSX was sick - loved how Charlie's drumming added another dimension to it. Could have been "just another noise album", but that took it to another level. Especially with John Wiese's editing.

Sissy Spacek - Cosm sounds great and while I like the collab with Merzbow more at this point, this album might surpass it. It's very unique to what I've heard in SxSx's discography. "SxSx doing Sun Ra" might be an apt description, but there's more to it than that. Btw there are hints of the tropics in it, which really adds to the sound. Don't ask me to explain. It's done better in the write-up on the Helicopter bandcamp site.
Last edited by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x on Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

If it counts (GX rather than The Haters per se), i enjoy the Survival Research Laboratories CD a lot, and I wish that albums of SRL shows and the like was a whole genre. Or at least some Grateful Dead-style bootlegging scene.
https://www.discogs.com/release/188310- ... boratories

But it just seems to be that album, and this cassette which I'll prob never find

... I can just listen to the videos in a hidden youtube tab i guess
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Regarding Tractor 2023. Only getting round to it this afternoon and yes, it's a big reworking of the original. I suppose the clue is in the title! But that didn't stop me from needing some time to adjust to it. Part of me did just want this to be the 'real' album on CD, not least because I listened to that earlier in the week whilst in the office and wanted to repeat the experience at home. In the hands of most other projects with lesser experience carving out entropic niches this would probably be a totally bullshit move. In the hands of The Haters it makes perfect sense and is conceptually watertight.

In terms of its home listening qualities, expect a far grittier, heavy listen. Will satisfy harsh heads much more than the original I should think. Don't know to what extent Wiese is responsible for the final outcome here as the 2023 mix is credited equally to GX and him, but it would definitely not be a surprise if his presence looms large. I'd venture a guess that the (bonus?) 4th track entitled simply 'Tractor' is almost entirely him doing his thing with cuts taken at will from the original sessions.

Totally worth it. Now I just need to cop the original LP some day...