Noise with Drums

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
bobMarinelli
C20

Noise with Drums

Post by bobMarinelli »

someone mentioned that a turn off of theirs was noise with drums in it. Fair enough, sounds like something that could go very wrong. Then I find out the Merzbow did this . . .

https://slowdown-merzbow.bandcamp.com/a ... mble-drums
https://www.soundohm.com/product/drum-noise

thanks for a wtf moment if I've ever had one! Thankfully what I heard was live drumming and not programmed stuff.
Scream & Writhe
Site Admin

Re: Noise with Drums

Post by Scream & Writhe »

Merzbow has collaborated with a few drummers, but I haven't checked out any of it other than the link you just shared. It sounds like noisecore, which I suspect a lot of (harsh) noise with drums will inevitably end up being.

For a less spastic approach, begottened was mentioned by someone somewhere recently. It's a collaboration between Kohei Nakagawa (Guilty Connector) and the drummer from Corrupted and is more along the lines of dark ambient with sparse yet straightforward drumming.
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label - https://screamandwrithe.com
Initial Shock Noise Festival - https://initialshock.screamandwrithe.com
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Atrophist
Thrashmaster

Post by Atrophist »

I've seen Merzbow with Balazs Pandi (sp?). I didn't get the point, to be honest. I'm not even that crazy about drum machines in noise. Not my thing, but I remain open to being proven wrong.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

Let us not forget that Akita was a drummer before he began Merzbow!

So far, my favorite drum-Merzbow is (see especially the second track):

If anyone can recommend newer drum material, I would be very interested!

----

Also, Bizarre Uproar, if not actual drums, has made percussion a major part of some of his work from the mid-2010s onward (I may have that timeline off a bit).

Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

Can't help but notice the picture of Juntaro being used as the icon for a series about Merzbow... Mildly unsettling, but not really relevant...

Anyway, he's done actually quite a lot of releases with guest drummers and his own drumming. Always thought Don't Steal My Coat was one of his stronger/more memorable releases from the era.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Merzbow collab'ed with Z'ev at least once. I have an album of that on CD, but I haven't really gotten around to giving it a proper listen yet.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Also, Guilty Connector did something with Mortalized on 3" CD, but I have yet to hear that...
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

There's also a Mortalized/GC collab released on cassette. The 3" is a cool release, though too short IMO.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Seen Merzbow with Keiji Haino once where he (Akita) got behind a drum kit and started wailing over the noise. It was shit on reflection. In fact I don’t believe I’ve seen/heard any kind of concerted ‘noise and live drums’ situation that wasn’t just a load of tossed off, tastelessly maximal, rockist bollocks. I remain open minded, however. Plenty of excellent, despicable noisecore/grind or wild improv that counts as ‘noisy music with drums’. Also loads of music using electronic or digital drum recordings as sources for interesting sonic work
Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

adult human wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:55 am In fact I don’t believe I’ve seen/heard any kind of concerted ‘noise and live drums’ situation that wasn’t just a load of tossed off, tastelessly maximal, rockist bollocks. I remain open minded, however.
With the exceptional exception of live drummer'd Hijokaidan, I'd (generally) be inclined to agree. But there is quite a good chunk of live drummer'd Hijokaidan. Live drummer'd Hijokaidan maximal'd up the hidey hole. And, oh so good.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:25 am
adult human wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:55 am In fact I don’t believe I’ve seen/heard any kind of concerted ‘noise and live drums’ situation that wasn’t just a load of tossed off, tastelessly maximal, rockist bollocks. I remain open minded, however.
With the exceptional exception of live drummer'd Hijokaidan, I'd (generally) be inclined to agree. But there is quite a good chunk of live drummer'd Hijokaidan. Live drummer'd Hijokaidan maximal'd up the hidey hole. And, oh so good.
The stupidity I feel at allowing this oversight in favour of making a scornful comment is immeasurable. Yes it works very well with hijokaidan!
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Joie de la Blumpy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:25 am

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

Do you have links to any more Hijokaidan recordings of them using drums? Live or in-studio, either is fine.
Capers
Thrashmaster

Post by Capers »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:44 am any more Hijokaidan recordings of them using drums? Live or in-studio, either is fine.
27 minute opening scorcher on this album has Masami on drums.

Joie de la Blumpy
Noise Fanatic

Post by Joie de la Blumpy »

I honestly feel as though practically all Hijokaidan since Windom ('92) has had a strong drummer element, to practically include the quite practically practical Ferocity of Practical Life*, though I'd think if you were to google "Hijokaidan" and "Antiknock" you'd get a reasonable shitload of Hijokaidan with Mr Masami Akita on drums (later there are others). The more recent discs on Helicopter and Helicopter/Troniks are more of the same, but exceedingly good more of the same. So not really more of the same, er. But.

Look.

If forced at um harshpoint, or more likely, unforced, as I tend to trot this out a fair bit to be perfectly honest, er... This single minute from Windom is to be counted among the favorite noise minutes ever. I mean, as noise minutes go. Like. There are a lot of em (noise minutes). But, like, y'know, some minutes are more indelibly scarred into what's left of the brain than others.

* speaking of "domestic noise", nyuk nyuk
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

I just remembered this as well (Kazumoto Endo and Kaori Komura):
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

From the looks of this thread, noise with drums is primarily a Japanese thing?
Confounder.JDE
Sound Art

Post by Confounder.JDE »

Hair Police comes to mind when thinking about noise with drums
J.D. Evans
Confounder
Master Grave Services
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

I just listened to the Sun 0))) + Boris release ALTAR. Had drums, was an enjoyable listen. I find folks who put restrictions on what can and cannot be noise ridiculous.
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

I think the Drum'n'Noise frustration has less to do with jazzbos than it does with club kids. But also jazzbos... And also not the idea in itself so much as those who promote it in "today's" world.

"Have you ever considered adding beats to your noise?" is a perennial favorite question.

I think mid-late 2000's MA is the obvious example of synergizing dub and minimal techno with noise to sometimes excellent result. It's fine and it's cool, but it's not necessarily a goal or obligation to appease or to comfort some cracked-out club kid party monsters or panic-stricken, acid-blasted phisheads, is it?

I think that's where the frustration lies. The constant attempts at guidance from outsiders who just don't quite get it and think they're being good self-appointed social workers to the mentally ill.
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

Noise and mental illness does seem to have that peanut butter and jelly synergy.
adult human
Noise Fanatic

Post by adult human »

luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 am I just listened to the Sun 0))) + Boris release ALTAR. Had drums, was an enjoyable listen. I find folks who put restrictions on what can and cannot be noise ridiculous.
Yeah me too on whole but I’d probably ignore recommendations for Earth 2 when asking for records similar to Altars of Madness, despite the fact it can all be talked about as metal.
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

adult human wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:55 am(Akita) got behind a drum kit and started wailing over the noise. It was shit on reflection.
I don't know why but I've been chuckling about this for two days now. I remember buying Anicca when it came out and thinking "wow this is so deep he plays the drums" but it's actually not an era/style of Merzy that I come back to a lot.

I will say that I really enjoyed the "second disc" of the Merzbow/Full of Hell collab which was less grind and more experimental in nature. That whole set had a good energy to the whole thing.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:44 am HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

Do you have links to any more Hijokaidan recordings of them using drums? Live or in-studio, either is fine.
I personally think the Jazz Hijokaidan series are great. Particularly the Live In Studio album, although the Live Made In Japan disc is just as good. A very different side of Hijokaidan with excellent production.

I also really enjoyed the Hijokaidan x Sissy Spacek disc Entropic from.... [checks notes] 2019? I feel like that came out two weeks ago. Post pandemic and I've lost all sense of time.....
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 am I just listened to the Sun 0))) + Boris release ALTAR. Had drums, was an enjoyable listen. I find folks who put restrictions on what can and cannot be noise ridiculous.
To mention Merzbow again, his collaboration with Boris was also really good. (It'e been a while since I listened to it, though.)
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

SS1535 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:03 pm
To mention Merzbow again, his collaboration with Boris was also really good. (It'e been a while since I listened to it, though.)
Which one? He's got like three or four with them, last I knew.
luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:07 pm Noise and mental illness does seem to have that peanut butter and jelly synergy.
Overlapping circles. Just kidding, but oftentimes they seem to be.

Btw most of my noise is themed around mental illness. Dealing with it is one of the biggest aspects of my life.
consumer
C20

Post by consumer »