Noise with Drums

Primary section for noise and noise-adjacent discussion.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Re: Noise with Drums

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

consumer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:16 am SWORD HEAVEN
Yes.
Whiteboard Maverick
Contact Mic

Post by Whiteboard Maverick »

Noise with drums can be awesome I reckon! I really love the Flying Testicle album Space Desia from 1993 - Akita on drums for portions of that action and it's really sweet. I'd rather head there than any of the Merzbow drum exercises really. Over in the US the Death Unit album Only Death Is Certain from 2006 is a ripper. Chris Corsano and Trevor Tremaine blast on that one in a way that somehow avoids positioning the racket as drawing from FMP or Earache rather than MSNP. Also really love the Endless Humiliation album My Wife Is Willing / Body Clinic. It's a super underrated record - almost pushes to noisecore at points it's so raw, but Arthur Rizk's pummel remains present and perceptible throughout. In that vein you could also point to Air Conditioning of course. Over here in Australia I'd point to the work of Sean Baxter. Sean passed in 2020, but his drum and percussion work left a big mark on Melbourne. His practice was super expansive, but he often collaborated with artists working pretty squarely with noise in a range of forms. His gestures always showed a real love and understanding of fucked out sound and how it can talk to percussive free improvisation.
troniks
Contact Mic

Post by troniks »

Sissy Spacek has used drums in a wide variety of their work, from grind to the avant-garde, abstract cut-ups to flat out noise. Definitely one of the main groups I think of (perhaps second only after Hijokaidan) when I think of noise with drums.

There's drums, too, in much of the Airway and LAFMS material.

Much more "song oriented" but definitely in the larger noise world would be Lightning Bolt. If you've ever seen them live, you know how loud and heavy they can be.

Deep Jew was a short-lived 2000s Los Angeles supergroup featuring the folks behind Impregnable, Privy Seals, Toxic Loincloth, Haircut Mountain Transit, sometimes Pedestrian Deposit, and maybe others? Ostensibly they were a thrash / power violence / punk group but, in actuality, they turned out more as noise blasters that would likely most appeal to the fans of the projects behind it. There were two lps and a 7" on Troniks, plus a host of other releases.

The absolute winner for MOST DRUMS in the experimental sphere has to be Crash Worship. While some might only lump them into the tribal, rhythmic Burning Man world, they had no problem getting noisy. Unfortunately, I don't think any of their releases fully showcase the descent into pure hell that accompanied their legendary live shows, which were experiences like no other.
Last edited by troniks on Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:34 pm
SS1535 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:03 pm
luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 am I just listened to the Sun 0))) + Boris release ALTAR. Had drums, was an enjoyable listen. I find folks who put restrictions on what can and cannot be noise ridiculous.
To mention Merzbow again, his collaboration with Boris was also really good. (It'e been a while since I listened to it, though.)
Which one? He's got like three or four with them, last I knew.
Really? Darn it Akita... haha

Whatever this is from, then:
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

SS1535 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:47 pm

To mention Merzbow again, his collaboration with Boris was also really good. (It'e been a while since I listened to it, though.)

"Gensho (現象, "phenomenon") is the fourth collaborative studio album and seventh release by the Japanese experimental band Boris and noise musician Merzbow."

Btw "Vomitself" was a song on the first Boris album, Amplifier Worship.
sinkhole
Contact Mic

Post by sinkhole »

Well I would have to say that Harry Pussy is probably the best when it comes to noise with drums. Perfect band!
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

troniks wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:58 pm Sissy Spacek has used drums in a wide variety of their work, from grind to the avant-garde, abstract cut-ups to flat out noise. Definitely one of the main groups I think of (perhaps second only after Hijokaidan) when I think of noise with drums.
Definitely take it the use of drums beyond a "typical noisecore" approach (and not like there's anything wrong with either way).
troniks wrote:Deep Jew was a short-lived 2000s Los Angeles supergroup
I really enjoyed the Ugliest Man/Dog Blood LP, I have that and am on the lookout for the other records.

Really there's a lot of noisecore stuff that could crossover in a really unique way like Melanocetus Murrayi from Greece, Chappa'ai from Hungary, Sewer System.... and Sedem Minut Strachu from Slovakia did a ton of super weird collabs, we did a split (C4 haha) with my old noisecore band where the SMS side was remixed/uglified by Spacegrinder & Cunts.... my favorite of theirs is the collab with Slovakian noise group Supraphon Family called Sedem Supraphon Minút Family Strachu and they did a 10" together. Great!! https://sedemminutstrachu.bandcamp.com/ ... k-off-10ep
Bubble-Congeries
Maniacs Only

Post by Bubble-Congeries »

If we're talking noisecore, I only have one release [EDIT: No, two releases], a split tape with Pissdeads, but that tape of THC Eradicus is some of my favorite/most inspiring insane nonsense.
MND
C20

Post by MND »

There is Ted Byrnes, he does noise with his drum set.

-Ted Byrnes - Double Negative (Absurd Exposition): https://absurdexposition.bandcamp.com/a ... e-negative
-Ted Byrnes - Naysayer (Foul Prey): https://foulprey.bandcamp.com/album/naysayer

There is also one CD on Rural Isolation Project, but that sounded more like an experimental release, it doesn't sound as harsh as these two.
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

xIncorruptibleCorpse777x wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:03 am
SS1535 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:47 pm

"Gensho (現象, "phenomenon") is the fourth collaborative studio album and seventh release by the Japanese experimental band Boris and noise musician Merzbow."

Btw "Vomitself" was a song on the first Boris album, Amplifier Worship.
Good to know. It's been some years since I have listened to that clip. It also reminds me that I need to listen to more Boris...
D345
Maniacs Only

Post by D345 »

https://ruputapes.bandcamp.com/album/ru ... e-fuckings

drums can be boring as fuck (soundwise) but there's always chance for good free jazz. just bury them deep enough!
But he was always more concerned with making his guitar sound like a dying horse, more than anything else.

https://ruputapes.wordpress.com/
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

My own project Nervous Corps:
https://mondoanthem.bandcamp.com/album/ ... tem-ii-cdr

I had an electronic drum kit that i ran thru my gear then proceeded to destroy rhythm (haha).
There is also the Nervous Corps 2xc30 release on Maternal Infection that is all drum driven noise, total destruction!

https://www.discogs.com/release/2373075 ... -XHXNXWXCX
Happiness, forever
Thrashmaster

Post by Happiness, forever »

I’ve also been working on a recording project - heavy heavy heavy on the drums and love of noise - with my band, Saint Vitus Dance Band, that is directly inspired (ie; we’re stealing all their good riffs 😁) by the works of Crash Worship and Missing Foundation and my own early 90’s band: Tekachi (we had 2-3 drummers and loads of noise noise noise).
holy ghost
I Heart Noise

Post by holy ghost »

Just realized I forgot PIG HEART TRANSPLANT. Wonderful!
Tinnitustimulus
C20

Post by Tinnitustimulus »

Nachtluft - Silence Reactif is one my favorite noise and drums tracks.

Macronympha - Baroque used jazz drum solos though I'm not sure if they just took it off some records or if they recorded it.

I remember Prurient's split with kites and black vase has drums, but always thought they were kind of awkward? Maybe he was trying to go for an abruptum kind of a thing.

Jeff Witscher was in Rainbow Blanket with his brother drumming before or during Impregnable was going on.
Noise Fanatic

Post by 33033 »

Shameless self promotion for this one on the label...
New one coming this year as well!
luciferjonez
Thrashmaster

Post by luciferjonez »

luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 am I just listened to the Sun 0))) + Boris release ALTAR. Had drums, was an enjoyable listen. I find folks who put restrictions on what can and cannot be noise ridiculous.
luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:07 pm Noise and mental illness does seem to have that peanut butter and jelly synergy.
Overlapping circles. Just kidding, but oftentimes they seem to be.

Btw most of my noise is themed around mental illness. Dealing with it is one of the biggest aspects of my life.

The latest ALTAR? I just heard it for the first time when I posted about it. found it on spotify.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

luciferjonez wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:18 am

luciferjonez wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:07 pm Noise and mental illness does seem to have that peanut butter and jelly synergy.
Overlapping circles. Just kidding, but oftentimes they seem to be.

Btw most of my noise is themed around mental illness. Dealing with it is one of the biggest aspects of my life.

The latest ALTAR? I just heard it for the first time when I posted about it. found it on spotify.

No, that was just a repress and it was a collab between Sunn O))) and Boris. Good album, but I only go back and listen to one or two songs on it, tbh.
moch
Blank Tape

Post by moch »

idk if anyones mentioned it but one of my favorites Noise/Girl's Discopathology. its like harsh noise mixed with disco/house music its a gem

Cementimental
Hard Panning

Post by Cementimental »

If I do say so myself: https://horsevomit.bandcamp.com/
cementimental.bandcamp.com - harsh Noise, rough music and circuit bending since 2000ad
disgustingcathedral.bandcamp.com - Dungeon Noise
isntses.bandcamp.com - Intergalactic noise/music
isntses.etsy.com - Psychogeographic noise synths
futuristeprimitif
Contact Mic

Post by futuristeprimitif »

lets not forget BNSU, highest energy performance harsh noisecore band at the moment in my opinion. drummer is from turkey and the vocalist is from japan. they both lived in berlin for some time, but as it looks right now theyre moving away from shitcity.

Fire of the Mind
Contact Mic

Post by Fire of the Mind »

Happiness, forever wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 am My own project Nervous Corps:

I had an electronic drum kit that i ran thru my gear then proceeded to destroy rhythm (haha).
There is also the Nervous Corps 2xc30 release on Maternal Infection that is all drum driven noise, total destruction!

https://www.discogs.com/release/2373075 ... -XHXNXWXCX
Well, fuck, I love your Nervous Corps work and had no idea that's how you got those sounds. I'm genuinely fascinated.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Post by Bigsby »

Ryosuke Kiyasu
confuzzled
C20

Post by confuzzled »

I'm in the process of adding drums to a track because it calls for it. Fuck the tropes. If something that I'm creating feels like it needs something, I will add it to satisfy my creative outlet. Everyone else's ears be damned.
PetiteSoles
Hard Panning

Post by PetiteSoles »

I don't think they've been mentioned and I feel like they are worth mentioning. Actuary, had at least a couple releases with noise/bass/drums and I think they did it well. I got to see them live once in this style as well. Admittedly, drums (especially rhythmic) in noise is not my favorite thing but there are definitely exceptions.