Steve Albini

Have a blast. Keep it friendly.
Bigsby
Contact Mic

Steve Albini

Post by Bigsby »

RIP.

10,000 Light Years was an important catalyst for me into noise. I only bought it b/c i liked big black, rapeman, and shellac so much, but it opened my ears to so much.
papp diin
Contact Mic

Re: Steve Albini

Post by papp diin »

I cannot think of anyone who's done more to shape my particular tastes and interests in music. This one hurts.
housepig
Thrashmaster

Post by housepig »

sometime in the mid 80's, before I was really into heavy music, I was watching Night Flight (kids, ask your parents) and stumbled on to footage of Big Black doing "Jordan, MN." It was one of those musical experiences that I just couldn't understand - I had no real frame of reference for it, it just seemed way too intense. And there was no backcheck to say who it was, I didn't have a VCR running to tape it. there was no internet to look it up.

A few weeks later my friend Eric played me a new tape, and I yelled "these are those weird dudes I saw on Night Flight!" Became a fan of Big Black, later a fan of Shellac, of his take on the art of recording, and even later a fan of how he actively tried to reconsider some of the things he said and did, and make amends for things without trying to take himself off the hook or minimize his mistakes as so many others do.
James Thompson
C20

Post by James Thompson »

incredible talent. 61! too young, man, too young.
housepig wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:35 pm ... and even later a fan of how he actively tried to reconsider some of the things he said and did, and make amends for things without trying to take himself off the hook or minimize his mistakes as so many others do.
honestly so much respect to him for this, also - without wanting to Get Into It here, something a lot of folks could learn from. the same curiosity & humility that led to him working on so many iconic records clearly carried over into his philosophy on changing & growing as a person over time.
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

James Thompson wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:20 pm incredible talent. 61! too young, man, too young.
housepig wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:35 pm ... and even later a fan of how he actively tried to reconsider some of the things he said and did, and make amends for things without trying to take himself off the hook or minimize his mistakes as so many others do.
honestly so much respect to him for this, also - without wanting to Get Into It here, something a lot of folks could learn from. the same curiosity & humility that led to him working on so many iconic records clearly carried over into his philosophy on changing & growing as a person over time.

Hear, hear!!!

This is gutting.

Btw Night Flight was resurrected as a streaming service, with all the old stuff, some unreleased stuff, and what they claim is an ever-increasing amount of new stuff. Think it's like five or nine bucks a month?
SS1535
I Heart Noise

Post by SS1535 »

RIP
xIncorruptibleCorpse777x
I Heart Noise

Post by xIncorruptibleCorpse777x »

Anthony Bourdain with Steve Albini on "Parts Unknown". It's quite short.

I can't get the embed to work, sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GabjCtsDyA4
n a a r a
C20

Post by n a a r a »

Rest in peace Steve and deepest condolences to his loved ones.

I love Shellac and I've also learnt so much from EA videos. I hope there were more people like Albini in the music scene. His journey from a provoking edgy noise rocker to an unofficial cool uncle of everybody who ever tried to record rock music teaches us a lot. Mr Albini learnt from his mistakes and grew to make a difference in the music world with his sound ideals, vision and ethics. You can be a sharp-ass critic of everything stupid in this world and still be kind and loving meanwhile. And make killer noise rock and grow vegetables at the same time!

My partner introduced Albini's studio videos to me and we've spend countless nights sitting next to each other, me minding my own business and him listening to Steve's voice giving statements on the music business and introducing guitar amps in the background. I just can't believe this guy in his navy blue overall just is not here anymore to play his test riffs with the gear or tell anecdotes from the 80's. He grew to be like a father-like figure in our little home, even if in just a parasocial Youtube video kind of way. My partner's father was not a good guy and he died years ago, so I kind of believe my partner found some kind of paternal figure in mr. Albini: somebody to rely on when you have problems in the studio, a wise and sharp yet warm-hearted older guy.

I wish Steve's ethics are not thrown outta window with his legacy: very sad to see his band's work popped into Spotify shortly after his body went cold. And I really hope Electrical Audio stays the way it is and the engineers can continue their work there.